Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spicy Cumin Chicken, Coconut Rice, Spicy Black Beans, and Avocado




Finally a recipe again! I've been cooking a lot recently and keep failing to blog about it. Tonight, I made a simple meal to warm up on this chilly fall evening. I wanted something with a bit of a kick, was somewhat of a comfort food, and had a fresh element to it too. I came up with a spicy cumin marinade for the chicken, added coconut milk to my rice, and used store bought organic black beans with fresh avocado to create a delicious meal. Here is the recipe below:


Spicy Cumin Chicken:
2-3 cloves of garlic (diced or smashed)
6 tbsp olive oil
Juice from 1-2 small lemons
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Cholula hot sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cajun spice
1/2 tsp ground cayenne
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground cardamon 


I used about 1.25 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I trimmed and sliced thinly and marinaded for about an hour. I sautéed the chicken in a skillet until it was golden brown on the outside and had an internal temp of 165 degrees F.


Coconut Rice:
2 cups jasmine white rice
1 can coconut milk
2.5 cups water


Cook until the rice is soft and all the liquid is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.


Spicy Black Beans: 
I just heated up a can of Organic Spicy Black Beans, but you can cook up your own black beans or use a can of regular black beans and just add cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, and whatever else you desire. I often use Cholula hot sauce to flavor plain black beans in addition to the additions above.


Slice a fresh avocado and add between 1/4 and 1/2 avocado to each serving for a bit of fresh flavor and to cool down the spiciness for anyone who isn't a huge fan of spicy foods. I also ground some fresh Cotija cheese on top after I took the picture above, which was a great addition. The entire meal took about 1.5 hours to make, including the marinade time. It makes approximately 4-6 servings depending on size. Delicious and simple, the best kind of meal. 


Enjoy!


xX,
Laura Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment