Monday, March 21, 2011

Paradise: Gorgeous Telluride and Delicious Grain Free Bars

Photo courtesy of Telluride Tourism Board






And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart,
"Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons." - Khalil Gibran

An interesting and beautiful quote about how we should think of food as we eat it from one of my favorite poets and philosophers, Khalil Gibran. His poems on every aspect of life are thought provoking and right on in most cases. He is an author that is well worth owning and you will find yourself picking up every so often to rediscover his immense wisdom on life.



Photo courtesy of Dolce

Speaking of life, mine has been busy but exciting recently. Last week we had some abnormally warm and sunny weather and I had a few days off to soak up some rays, not to mention enhance the color of my freckles. I went up to Telluride last Thursday for a meeting with the owner of Dolce, the gallery that I was put in touch with for a full-time position that is opening in May. The interview itself went well and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out. Dolce is a gallery on the main street of the picturesque and posh mountain town of Telluride. Beau, the owner of Dolce, has been in the same location for several years and has developed quite the following. During our meeting, he mentioned that he has to keep his inventory extremely unique, because his clients are individuals who have the ability to travel all over the world and purchase anything they desire. I have to say, he has done an exceptional job of creating a space that is inviting and interesting. His selection of designers comes together flawlessly and their pieces of jewelry and sculpture are incredible. 


Before and after my interview, I was able to meet up with some friends of mine who has moved to Telluride in the past year for jobs. All three of my friends had very positive things to say about this thriving little mountain destination. I ate at a wonderful place called The Butcher and the Baker, had their organic chicken salad with huge chunks of perfectly moist chicken and grapes bursting with flavor. After my interview, I was a bit hungry again and was happy that I packed one of my trusty snacking companion grain free bars for the trip.



I seem to have gotten nearly everyone (and even every cat and dog) who tries my grain free bars somewhat addicted. The recipe is fairly simple and extremely healthy. I had my brother try a square from one of my first batches last spring and it took me actually making them with him to convince him that I made them. He kept asking me where the wrapper was and what brand they were. Then I got my mom, aunts, and rest of the family (especially those who are gluten free) trading in their other bought grain free bars for these freshly made variety. Finally, I made them at the cafe in Silverton this fall and now I have some locals and tourists alike hooked on them. I hope you enjoy these tasty little squares as much as I do!


I stumbled across the recipe for these flavor and nutrient packed grain free bars last spring when every week I was buying Lara Bars at the store for $1.50 per tiny bar and realized how simple the ingredient list was. It was primarily dates and nuts, so really how hard could that be to replicate? I loved Lara Bars because they are a quick, healthy snack I could take with me anywhere. They are sweet, moist, and flavorful. To top it off, they are gluten free. So I went to my primary recipe source, tastespotting.com, and searched for something similar to Lara Bars. Here is the recipe I found, but for some odd reason can not find now as I search for it on tastespotting.com. I guess its just our little secret recipe now! Happy baking and snacking!



Grain Free Bars




Ingredients:
2 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used almonds, pecans, pepitas, cashews, sunflower seeds)

1 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter), unsweetened, unsalted

6 oz dates, chopped roughly

1 1/4 cup water

1 cup chopped fruit (tart dried cherries, blueberries, and cranberries)

4oz unsweetened coconut flakes
 (shredded)
2 tbsp cocoa nibs
parchment paper

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coarsely chop the nuts in a food processor (chop the almonds separately from the rest of the nuts, as they are much harder than the others). Evenly cover a large baking tray with the nuts and toast for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Use the food processor to chop the fruit into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Then use the food processor to shred your coconut if you bought coconut flakes that weren't shredded previously and place this in the same mixing bowl as the fruit. Finally, grind up the cocoa nibs in the food processor until they are fairly fine, that way they will add a nice even flavor that won't overwhelm a bite. Place the cocoa nibs in the bowl with the chopped fruit and coconut and set aside. Combine the peanut butter, chopped dates and water into a sauce pan and heat the mixture on a low burner, stirring occasionally. As the peanut butter warms, it may seize up a bit, so add as much water as necessary to create a sticky, almost glue-like paste. As you are stirring in the water, you want to keep the mixture warm, but not hot.
After the nuts have been toasted for 10 minutes and have cooled slightly, combine them in the mixing bowl with the fruit and coconut. Pour the peanut butter mixture on top of the nuts and combine using a spatula or large wooden spoon. Make sure the peanut butter mixture evenly coats the fruit, nuts, and coconut. Line the sheet pan with parchment, then dump the sticky mixture onto the parchment. Use the back of your spatula or spoon to press the gooey mixture onto the pan evenly. Use your hands to finish pressing the mixture into an even layer if necessary. Place the bars into the oven, and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges to set the bars. Remove them from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let them set for several hours and then cut them into small squares. Store them in the fridge, separating the layers with waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment