Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ode to Spring

One can love completely without complete understanding. - A River Runs Through It 






For some reason, starting each blog with a quote that has had an effect on my life seems like a nice way to kick things off. This particular quote is one of my favorites from an incredible novel by Norman Maclean. For all of you that love a novel that will wrap you up in the story from the first chapter, then you should definitely pick up a copy of this book. Maclean's writing style is easy to read and each word seems to flow methodically into a deep story about family, nature, and love. I read it for the first time while taking a "Flyfishing and Journaling" class in high school (yes only Durango High School would allow such a course) and fell in love with the story. Surprisingly enough, there is actually a very well done film adaptation by Robert Redford that even has a young Brad Pitt as one of the main characters. 


I am absolutely, completely head over heels in love with Spring. There you have it! This time of year, I get butterflies in my stomach each morning thinking about the days getting longer and warmer. I love waking up at 5:30 to light in the sky, although that now happens at 6:30 unfortunately. Daylight savings took away from my morning light, but at least will allow me to enjoy light in the evenings now. I love seeing the first hint of green in peoples front lawns and seeing buds from all the bulbs pushing their way up to show their bright petals in no time! I love how the birds just sing a different, more joyful and hopeful song all day long. I love flip flops and tank tops more than any other articles of clothing. I love grilling and salads, fresh fruits and veggies. There is something charismatic and exciting about spring, it warms my heart and makes me smile!


After baking all morning at work yesterday, you'd think I'd be sick of cooking for the day. At the Avalanche, I made a delicious Flourless Chocolate Cake and some spicy sweet Chai Tea Bread, which I promise to do posts on both very soon. Surprisingly, I got the urge to bake yesterday afternoon when I got home and had my heart set on making some flourless peanut butter cookies. You may be thinking, gross or how weird! Let me assure you, these little babies taste exactly the same, if not better, than their floured twins. They are hands down the simplest cookie I have ever baked and are packed with energy. I attempted to snap a few pictures a long the way of the baking process, but my nice camera is at the Canon factory for a little rehab unfortunately. So here is the recipe and happy baking! 






Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies


2 cups natural peanut butter (I use the kind in the bulk section of health food stores that is just peanuts that you grind into a container, so there is no added salt, sugar, or oil) 
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I used beet sugar from the health food store, works great)
2 large eggs (I used 3 small farm fresh eggs - lightly beaten)
2 tsp baking soda (I use aluminum-free by Bob's Red Mill)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine room temperature peanut butter with the sugar and mix until smooth. Add in baking soda and mix. Then add eggs and mix until the dough is uniform and mostly smooth. Mine often appears slightly crumbly until you roll it into balls between your palms, then it becomes smooth. Place onto a cookie sheet and press down making a cross with a fork. Bake between 6 and 8 minutes, until the cookies are slightly brown around the bottom edges. Yields about 4 dozen. Recipe adapted from userealbutter.com. Enjoy! 


Peanut Butter and Sugar




After being combined:






Size reference for my small eggs:






Add in baking soda then eggs:




Result: A much smoother, yellowy dough






Roll dough into balls and place onto a cookie sheet:






Press a cross into them with a fork for traditional peanut butter cookie look:






Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes until golden brown and enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment