Monday, March 7, 2011

First Celebrity Sighting, EVER!

Seeing a celebrity has never been something that really crossed my mind in my day-to-day life. I assume that when I was younger and much more influenced by what the media was spotlighting, I probably dreamt once or twice (most likely much much more) about meeting the actor/singer who was most popular at the time. Those fantasies that involved celebrities have been off my radar since I was in high school though. 


As I mentioned in a previous post, I work at the Avalanche Cafe in Silverton, Colorado on weekends. It is a great escape to the most picturesque undiscovered mountain town and I absolutely love my time there. The population of Silverton is around 500 people in the winter and maybe 3,000 in the summer, so needless to say, it is quite a small town. We have everything you need to survive available to us, a grocery store, hardware store, and a handful of bars and restaurants. There is also the highest ski resort in all of North America at over 13,000 feet located in Silverton, which has recently become a destination for any avid advanced skiers/snowboarders in the country. Silverton is an absolute gem!


I work at a small cafe that is actually a converted home from the mining days in the late 1800s in Eureka, a present day ghost town, located slightly north of Silverton. The building was brought down into Silverton as Eureka became less and less populated when mining became a less prominent industry in the area. The cafe currently only seats about 20 people and is a typical coffee house for the most part. We are one of the only places open in Silverton during the winter and we are definitely the best breakfast in town. The locals, and even many tourists, would go so far to say we have the best lunch in town as well. We consider ourselves lucky that we can make tasty food that brighten peoples day, leave them feeling satisfied, and hopefully encourage them to return and tell others about the quality of our food.


This past weekend, there was a group of guys that came into the cafe for breakfast and lunches to-go on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. They were from Dragon, a goggle company, here on a ski trip. They obviously enjoyed our food and beverages, because they apparently told a high profile couple who was in town to get their to-go lunch from us Sunday before the headed up for a day of skiing at Silverton Mountain. So around 8am on Sunday morning, we saw a girl come in who looked like Jessica Biel, the hollywood actress who has been in the limelight for over 15 years. Then the guy who followed her in resembled Justin Timberlake, but we didn't think that there was any way that a celebrity of that scale would ever be in our cafe, much less in our tiny town. 


They ordered their sandwiches and while my co-worker Annie and I were in the back making them, we kept analyzing about whether or not we were making these turkey sandwiches for two of the biggest names in Hollywood. Finally when I asked Annie if it was possible that it was really them, she replied "I was once a twelve year old girl, I know Justin Timberlake when I see him!" I couldn't help but die laughing. She was right, this celebrity couple was the real deal! It was shocking to me how normal they seemed and how polite and friendly they were. It makes you realize that celebrities are still humans who live extravagant lives at times, but in reality they are still just people who enjoy an weekend escape to the mountains.


We got word that they would be going to Montanya Distillery, a totally unique and awesome rum distillery just a few blocks away from the Avalanche in Silverton, later that evening. We had already been tossing the idea of going there earlier in the day, but once we realized we could spend another hour or so rubbing shoulders with celebrities of this level, we were couldn't pass it up. We sat only one table away from the couple as they enjoyed cocktails and conversation with the owner of Silverton Mountain. It was such a cool experience! Everyone knew who they were, but was respectfully treating them just the same as everyone else at the bar. Here is the one pic that I was able to capture without being too obvious, that is Justin in the background in a black coat and glasses!



Needless to say, I was not expecting something this unusual and exciting to happen to me this weekend in Silverton! 

No comments:

Post a Comment