Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fresh Summer Salad Paired with a Nice Glass of Wine and Whitman

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you." 
- Walt Whitman



I have to admit I love this time of year! I love everything about it: the sunshine, the birds chirping at the top of their lungs, the flowers, the lush green plants, and the afternoon thunderstorms that last well into the night! 



I love this time of year for cooking too, because I can't get enough of adding whatever fruits are in season to a bed of fresh baby greens. There is something about the combinations of fresh and vibrant flavors and colors that makes my mouth water. I love to throw together an easy salad bursting with unique flavors and pair it with a glass of chilled white wine to have a little gourmet end to my day. 

The other day my local market had organic blackberries on sale and so far this year has been the best blackberry year I can remember. Each berry is plump and juicy with a bit of tart flavor that is barely noticeable over the intense sweet flavor. Whenever I see organic blackberries on sale, I buy up more than most people would think is necessary. This week I went for 4 small plastic containers of them, since I figured the peak of the season is probably well over by now. I always add the berries to my daily breakfast of greek yogurt and fruit, because it adds so much color, texture, and flavor variation to the mix. A few nights ago, I got the urge to add a handful of the berries to my salad and WOW was it good! Here is the recipe for an easy, gourmet salad that anyone would love! 






Blackberry, Apple, Gouda, Baby Greens, and Chicken Salad

What you will need (makes two to three large dinner salads plus more)

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed and sliced horizontally or pounded thinner)
Marinade of your choice (see my homemade simple marinade recipe below)
4 oz fresh baby greens (I added arugula to the greens for more flavor!)
3-4 oz fresh blackberries (I recommend organic if available)
1-2 oz high quality gouda (I am a huge fan of Boar's Head Gouda - amazing flavor)
1 med apple (I chose a Pink Lady for the color and crisp flavor)
1 ripe avocado
Dressing of your choice (I used my homemade Maple Dijon Dressing - see recipe below)
Bottle of chilled white wine, summer cocktail, or beer of your choice

Simple Marinade Recipe:
Juice from 2 small to medium lemons (roughly 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup white wine (anything you have open or cooking wine works)
4 tbsp sugar (I used coconut sugar and often times use maple syrup instead)
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Slice the boneless skinless breasts horizontally or pound them to make them thinner. Combine all the ingredients above and pour over the chicken and let sit for 30 minutes. Saute in a skillet or cook on the grill.


Here is the Maple Dijon Dressing Recipe:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups of dressing, so you can either scale down the recipe or just keep it in the fridge for next time! It saves well for weeks if not longer!

Salad Recipe:

Pour yourself a glass of wine!
Cook the chicken and set aside for 10-15 minutes while you make the dressing and prep the salad. 
Layer the bottom 2/3 of a large salad bowl or pasta bowl with fresh baby greens and arugula. 
Dice the apple and layer it on top of the greens.
Dice the avocado and place it on top of the greens and apple.
Thinly slice or dice the Gouda and add to the top of the salad.
Dice the chicken and layer it on top of the salad.
Add a handful of blackberries on top.
Grind pepper over the salad.
Pour as much dressing as desired over the salad.
Enjoy! 


A little passage from Walt Whitman that I felt the need to share:

"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body." 

Cheers! 
xX Laura Christine

1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing. The chicken marinade looks delicious, and you know I love your salad dressing!

    ReplyDelete