Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homemade Kombucha



"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."  - Julia Child



My mom and aunt have recently been into experimenting with fermenting and their first experiment was homemade kombucha. I have been somewhat addicted to kombucha for the past three years, but never even considered making it myself. After reading a book called "Wild Fermentation", my mom and aunt were determined to start making their own "homebrew" of kombucha. So for my moving away present, my mom gave me one of her kombucha mushrooms, because the mushroom she had gotten from my aunt had duplicated during her first kombucha fermentation. Only my family would consider giving something as slimy and gross as a kombucha mushroom as a gift, but I have to say I was excited to try making it on my own in Boulder. It is fairly simple and more cost efficient than buying the small bottles of it at the store for $3 or more each.

Homemade Kombucha



Here is what you will need:

1 large glass container (I used a gallon jar)
1 soft muslin or cheesecloth to cover the jar during fermentation
1 bottle of original flavor kombucha from the store
1 kombucha mushroom (can purchase at several online retailers)
6-8 black tea bags (I recommend organic and the highest quality available)
4 oz organic maple syrup
8 oz organic/raw honey
*you can also use 8-12 oz organic sugar to replace the honey and maple syrup

Bring 12 cups of water to a gentle boil and remove from heat. Add in the tea bags and let steep for 10min. Pull out the tea bags and add the honey/maple/sugar and stir well. Pour the mixture into your glass container once it has cooled enough to touch. Cover with muslin/cheesecloth and let the mixture cool completely to room temperature, I cool mine overnight. Add the kombucha mushroom plus 8-10 oz of already fermented kombucha. Replace cover and store for 7-10 days in an area away from bacteria and vinegar. I choose to keep mine in my laundry room. Check up on your mixture every few days to see how it is coming. You will definitely notice it getting less sweet and bubbly around 7 days. After the mixture has reached your desired level of fermentation, pour into smaller glass containers and refrigerate. If you wish, repeat the process for another batch! Keep your kombucha mushroom at room temperature and with at least 4-8oz of already fermented kombucha during the time that you are making your next batch. Enjoy! 

My homemade kombucha 

Brand of kombucha i used in my recipe - keep the jar and refill with your own kombucha later!

Kombucha mushroom, not the most appealing thing!


Cheers! 
xX Laura Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment