Saturday, July 30, 2011

I am my mother's daughter..



"Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you." - Khalil Gibran


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. "- Khalil Gibran


I felt it was appropriate to start this post off with a few of my mom's favorite quotes that she often referred to while raising my brother and I. She introduced me to Khalil Gibran, an incredible poet and philosopher, while I was in high school and have never since been the same. Words have never been spoken that are so true to life, yet flow as if they are from the heavens. 

My mom taught me to appreciate so many different avenues of life. She taught me to embrace each moment you have with those you love, and with nature, and keep those memories close to your heart throughout life. She allowed me to be a free spirit always, not even allowed, but encouraged. I could not be more grateful for anything in my life than my mother's constant support, love, and encouragement to be the women I was meant to become. She rarely made decisions for me, rather let me go the direction I was pulled towards and learn from whatever resulted from my decision. Without the knowledge and faith that she kept in her heart and constant reassurance that in the end everything would be okay in life, I would not be nearly as content with the world on a daily basis. I cannot express how lucky I feel to have a mother who allowed me to grow and blossom in my own unique ways throughout my life. 

I am certainly my mother's daughter, which I love and cherish. She is the most amazing women. I have learned to face everyday with a positive attitude, high expectations, and a strong work ethic from her. I have learned to be self-sufficient, motivated, and confident. She always reassured me that I could do anything that my heart desired. Who wouldn't want all of that in a mom!? I am so blessed to call her my mother and best friend! 



Every summer, my mom rushes to the local market when she finds out that organic blueberries are on sale. She freezes several gallon ziplock bags full each year and eats them all winter long, when fresh fruit is nearly nonexistent and expensive. One of my favorite memories from childhood is sitting with her on the couch on a winter's evening eating lightly thawed frozen blueberries that are covered with cream and then drizzled with honey. The cream freezes to the outside of the blueberries and completely coats it with a rich, buttery flavor and a touch of sweetness from the honey. 



Needless to say, when I saw organic blueberries on sale at my local market a few weeks ago, I stocked up! And when I say stocked up, I went a bit overboard really! I bought eight 16 oz packages, so now I have 128 oz and 3 ziplock gallon bags in my own freezer! I am looking forward to tasty blueberry and cream delights all winter long! 


"In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." - Khalil Gibran

I also wanted to share pictures from a camping trip I went on a two weekends ago for my best friend's birthday. The location is stunning! The company was delightful, I love spending time with my best friend and roommate from freshman year of college, Kallie! We laughed until our stomachs hurt and our cheeks were sore from smiling. What more could you want from a weekend adventure?! The best part, it is only two hours from Boulder, so it is easy to get to for an overnight escape to the mountains! Here is the breathtaking scenery, including my cute little pup:




Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream. - Khalil Gibran

Hope you all are having a great start to a fabulous weekend! Cheers! xX Laura Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment